My husband loves a Big breakfast and last weekend he asked me for a rather large one . When I say large , he really means a gutt buster and by that he means everything on the plate you would expect to find on a breakfast which would include one of his favourite parts, Hash browns .
For some reason I totally forgot to buy the usual frozen ones and felt a little guilty I did not have any at hand but trying to please as always , I decided to give making my own a try and wow how I never realised the ingredients were as simple.
I wrote down all the ingredients needed and placed them all on the board ready to prepare.
To make 12 Hash browns.
What you will need -
I've decided to make these as simple as possible with plenty of pictures to share as we go through each step .
1. Gather your potatoes and peel them.
2. Using the large of the area of the grater , grate all of your potatoes.
3. You need to grate the potatoes into one of the bowls .
Once grated , ensure the water runs clear and all the excess water is drained.
Squeeze the excess water from the potatoes and place into a clean bowl.
Tip : Rinse the grated potatoes under a tap using the sieve to keep them together
4. Finely chop half an onion (I'm not great at finely ).
5. Whisk two eggs
6. Mix your flour and seasoning together
7. Add your Onion, Eggs, Flour and seasoning into the grated potatoes and mix equally into one bowl.
8. You want to ensure that your hash browns are not too thick , so try making a small ball in your hand with a small amount and flatten it in the palm of your hand making it into a oval like shape . You may need a little extra flour to help with this .
Tip : Try not to use too much flour, this will then make them into a bread mixture which I found the kids found really tasty.
9. Ensure your oil is very hot So you should have the heat on high. You can fry these in shallow oil or deep pan it is up to you but I tried both and found shallow pan fry was the better outcome. It sealed the seasoning and flavour better.
10. Placing your oval shaped hash browns carefully into the pan of hot oil , leave to fry each side for approximately 3 minutes each side or when golden brown before turning over and repeating on the other side.
11. To serve , place on a grease proof paper or towel and then add to your meal .
My husband was over the moon with his breakfast.
The reason I thought I would share this with you was because he said that they tasted better than the shops and I found them really easy to make .
You can add different seasoning t your hashbrowns, I am attempting the cheesy ones next , keep an eye out .
Hope you might give them a try , If so let me know what you thought of them.